Sweet Brown Rice Dish with Carrots, Mushrooms, Red Onions and Baked Pumpkin & Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Brown Rice
Brown rice with carrots, mushrooms, red onions and baked pumpkin & sweet potatoes. Rice is always incredibly easy to make and extra yummy to eat. This time I wanted to do a vegan sweetie dish with a sesame aroma. We loved it. *Note: The ingredient’s list is according to the recipe’s directions.
Sweet Orange Brown Rice
What you’ll need:
1½ cups brown rice – soaked in water for an hour, then drained
2 small sweet potatoes – peeled and diced, then steamed until soft
½ cup (100g) pumpkin – peeled and diced, then steamed until soft
1 tsp. sesame oil
½ tsp. date syrup
A pinch of salt
2 red onions – cut in half, then sliced
5 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 carrots – peeled and diced
2 cups (about 8 medium sized) sliced fresh mushrooms
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. crushed cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. date syrup
1 tbsp. semi-dry white wine
2¾ cups boiling water (I know this is an unusual amount, but trust me…)
A handful of crushed pistachios – Optional
Baking sweet potatoes and pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350°f / 180°c
- Line aluminum foil (optional) on a baking pan and place the sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
- In a small bowl mix: 1 tbsp. sesame oil, salt and ½ tsp. date syrup. Then use a brush or a teaspoon and cover the potatoes and pumpkin with the sesame mixture.
- Place in oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot (over medium-low heat). Place the onions and sauté 5 minutes. Add sesame oil and carrots and continue sautéing for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt & pepper and stir gently. Add brown rice and continue stirring for a minute or two.
- Turn heat up a bit. Add the white wine, date syrup and boiling water. Stir and let it cook without stirring(!) until all water evaporates.
Once the rice is ready, top it with baked sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
The dish was garnished, served and eaten with crushed pistachios.